Zanzibar First VP calls for thorough investigations into mysterious deaths

Zanzibar First VP calls for thorough investigations into mysterious deaths

Unguja. Zanzibar’s First Vice President, Othman Masoud, has called on the government to fully investigate and clarify the circumstances surrounding the recent deaths of four individuals in a mysterious incident.

He urged the affected families to remain patient as authorities work to uncover the truth and ensure justice is served.

The tragedy occurred on the night of November 9, 2024, when a Dayna vehicle, driven by Msina Sharif (39), crashed into a tree, leading to the deaths of the driver and his assistant, Abdala Bakari (28).

Two young passengers, Mohamed Issa (10) and Hamza Abdalla Abasi (10), both pupils from Kidoti Primary School, sustained injuries.

Initial reports from the Zanzibar Police, released on November 10, stated that the vehicle lost control and crashed after attempting to flee from a police check point.

Deputy Director of Criminal Investigations, Zubeir Chembera, confirmed that a special committee had been set up to investigate the incident further, especially in light of social media rumors and claims that the victims were shot by police officers.

“We are conducting a thorough investigation into this tragic event. A committee has been formed to examine why the vehicle fled, why other vehicles attacked police officers, and whether shots were fired by the police,” Chembera said. “Once the investigation is concluded, we will share our findings with the public.”

The incident occurred during a police operation in the North A District of Kidoti Village, where officers had stopped a Toyota Dyana truck with no registration plates.

According to Chembera, the driver ignored orders to stop, honked the horn, and attempted to flee. Other vehicles joined in, allegedly throwing stones at the police.

 In response, police fired warning shots in the air, but the driver continued to evade them, eventually losing control and crashing into a tree.

Chembera reiterated that while the crash is believed to have caused the fatalities, the investigation is ongoing to determine whether any police actions contributed to the deaths.

Meanwhile, the ACT Wazalendo party has called for full accountability. Hamad Mussa Yussuf, a spokesperson for the opposition party, condemned the incident as an act of ‘murder’ and demanded the police reveal the identities of those responsible for the deaths and take swift action against them.

“This is a grave tragedy, and we demand justice. The police must publicly disclose who was responsible for these deaths and ensure that those involved face the law immediately,” Yussuf said.

VP visits grieving families

During a visit to the families of the victims on November 15, 2024, First Vice President Othman Masoud expressed his condolences and reiterated the government’s commitment to uncovering the truth.

He emphasized that it was the government’s duty to thoroughly investigate such incidents and provide the public with clarity, especially when lives are lost under mysterious circumstances.

“This is a tragic event, and it is the responsibility of the government to investigate it fully. The truth must be revealed without concealment, so the community can understand what happened. This process is crucial for ensuring justice and preventing similar incidents in the future,” Othman stated.

In his remarks, Othman praised the families for their patience in the wake of this tragedy, acknowledging the difficulty of their situation while assuring them that the government would pursue justice.

He called on the public to remain calm, as they had demonstrated during the incident, and to allow the ongoing investigation to proceed.

Othman’s statement, issued through the First Vice President’s office, underscored the importance of transparency and accountability. He added that without a full understanding of the facts, it would be difficult to address the deeper issues that led to the deaths and prevent such occurrences in the future.

Original Media Source

Share this news

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp

This Year's Most Read News Stories

Tanzania Declares Marburg Outbreak – Africa CDC Mobilizes Immediate Response
Tanzania Foreign Investment News
Chief Editor

Tanzania Declares Marburg Outbreak – Africa CDC Mobilizes Immediate Response

Tanzania Declares Marburg Outbreak – Africa CDC Mobilizes Immediate Response

Addis Ababa, January 20, 2025</Strong> — Tanzania has declared a Marburg virus disease (MVD) outbreak after confirming one case and identifying 25 suspected cases in the Kagera Region of Northwestern Tanzania. The Marburg virus, a highly infectious and often fatal disease, is similar to Ebola and is transmitted to humans from fruit bats and monkeys. This outbreak marks the nation’s second encounter with the deadly virus, following the outbreak in Bukoba District of Kagera Region in March 2023, which resulted in nine cases and six deaths.

In response to this urgent threat, the Africa CDC is mobilizing strong support to help Tanzania contain the outbreak. A team of twelve public health experts will be deployed as part of an advance mission in the next 24 hours. The multidisciplinary team includes epidemiologists, risk communication, infection prevention and control (IPC), and laboratory experts to provide on-ground support for surveillance, IPC, diagnostics, and community engagement.

The Director-General of Africa CDC, Dr. Jean Kaseya, has engaged with Tanzania’s President Samia Suluhu Hassan and the Minister of Health to ensure coordinated efforts and secure political commitment for the response.

“Africa CDC stands firmly with Tanzania in this critical moment. To support the government’s efforts, we are committing US$ 2 million to bolster immediate response measures, including deploying public health experts, strengthening diagnostics, and enhancing case management. Building on Tanzania’s commendable response during the 2023 outbreak, we are confident that swift and decisive action, combined with our support and those of other partners, will bring this outbreak under control,” Dr. Kaseya stated.

Africa CDC has recently supported efforts to enhance the diagnostic and sequencing capacity of public health laboratories in Tanzania. PCR Test kits and genomic sequencing reagents have been dispatched, with additional supplies in the pipeline. To ensure rapid identification and confirmation of cases, the institution will also provide technical assistance to strengthen detection and genome sequencing for better characterization of the pathogen. Additionally, support will be provided to improve case management protocols and enhance the capacity to deliver safe and effective treatment.

Africa CDC is committed to working closely with the Government of Tanzania, regional partners, international organizations, and global stakeholders, including the World Health Organization, to stop the spread of the Marburg virus.

Source: allafrica.com

Continue Reading

ZAA to audit ground handlers
Popular
Investment News Editor

Zanzibar Airport Authority to audit ground handlers

Unguja. The Zanzibar Airports Authority (ZAA) is set to conduct an audit on ground handling companies that currently operate at the Abeid Amani Karume Airport with effect from Monday. The week-long audit is set to include Transworld, ZAT and the newcomer Dnata Zanzibar who were licensed in June plus exclusive rights to manage Terminal 3 building by ZAA.Continue Reading