Nape tells TCRA to stick to its role

Nape tells TCRA to stick to its role

Tanzania, Dar es Salaam. Information, Communication and Information Technology minister Nape Nnauye has insisted that the sector’s regulator was not allowed to enforce laws related to cybercrimes but report to other state agencies.

Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA) has been playing a ‘policing role’ by banning online media outlets accused of violating regulations.

Mr Nnauye said the regulator should remain guardian of the entire communication sector in the country to ensure its growth and contribution to building the digital economy.

“TCRA does not enforce, it is not allowed to conduct any seizures even when there appears to be an obvious cybercrime. Their duty is to conduct cyber analysis and provide feedback to relevant law enforcement agencies,” he said during an interview with a local channel on Monday.

“TCRA feedback enables other agencies to identify who is who and what is being done in the space,” he added.

The minister said one of the duties of the communications regulatory body was to analyse user information and provide feedback to the law enforcement agencies like the police who are tasked with combating cybercrimes and other vices that occur in the online space.

He underlined the need for every person using online services to make it responsibly and safely.

“Whatever you publish in the online space leaves a mark, the internet doesn’t forget. I’ve seen some people missing out important opportunities only because of what they have been posting in their particular online spaces,” he said.

Mr Nnauye emphasised that TCRA needed to concentrate on educating communication service providers rather than punishing them, particularly in situations where it discovered they violated the regulations.

“I have reminded them to work as the sector’s guardian. We have reminded one another that if the service provider makes a mistake, consult them, talk to them, instead of prioritising penalties as it used to be,” he added.

In 2019, TCRA slapped telecommunications companies with a fine totaling Sh5.9 billion for failing to adhere to rules on quality of services and later in 2020, it also slapped Wasafi FM radio with a seven-day ban, accusing the station of violating communication regulations by airing abusive language.

Last year, the regulator fined six mobile phone companies a total of Sh38.1 billion over failure to meet service quality standards.

Original Media Source

Share this news

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp

This Year’s Most Read News Stories

Zanzibar Commerce
Top News
Investment News Editor

Zanzibar Airports Authority enforces Dnata monopoly

. Airlines that have not joined the Zanzibar Airports Authority’s (ZAA) preferred ground handler, Dnata, at the Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (AAKIA) face eviction from the Terminal Three building Dnata is the sole ground handler authorised to provide services for flights that operate at Terminal 3.Continue Reading

Tanzania Confirms Second Marburg Outbreak After WHO Chief Visit
Tanzania Foreign Investment News
Chief Editor

Tanzania Confirms Second Marburg Outbreak After WHO Chief Visit

Dar es Salaam — Tanzania’s President Samia Suluhu Hassan has declared an outbreak of Marburg virus, confirming a single case in the northwestern region of Kagera after a meeting with WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

The confirmation follows days of speculation about a possible outbreak in the region, after the WHO reported a number of deaths suspected to be linked to the highly infectious disease.

While Tanzania’s Ministry of Health declared last week that all suspected cases had tested negative for Marburg, the WHO called for additional testing at international reference laboratories.

“We never know when an outbreak might occur in a neighbouring nation. So we ensure infection prevention control assessments at every point of care as routine as a morning greeting at our workplaces.”Amelia Clemence, public health researcher

Subsequent laboratory tests conducted at Kagera’s Kabaile Mobile Laboratory and confirmed in Dar es Salaam identified one positive case, while 25 other suspected cases tested negative, the president told a press conference in Dodoma, in the east of the country today (Monday).

“The epicentre has now shifted to Biharamulo district of Kagera,” she told the press conference, distinguishing this outbreak from the previous one centred in Bukoba district.

Tedros said the WHO would release US$3 million from its emergencies contingency fund to support efforts to contain the outbreak.

Health authorities stepped up surveillance and deployed emergency response teams after the WHO raised the alarm about nine suspected cases in the region, including eight deaths.

The suspected cases displayed symptoms consistent with Marburg infection, including headache, high fever, diarrhoea, and haemorrhagic complications, according to the WHO’s alert to member countries on 14 January. The organisation noted a case fatality rate of 89 per cent among the suspected cases.

“We appreciate the swift attention accorded by the WHO,” Hassan said.

She said her administration immediately investigated the WHO’s alert.

“The government took several measures, including the investigation of suspected individuals and the deployment of emergency response teams,” she added.

Cross-border transmission

The emergence of this case in a region that experienced Tanzania’s first-ever Marburg outbreak in March 2023 has raised concerns about cross-border transmission, particularly following Rwanda’s recent outbreak that infected 66 people and killed 15 before being declared over in December 2024.

The situation is particularly critical given Kagera’s position as a transport hub connecting four East African nations.

Amelia Clemence, a public health researcher working in the region, says constant vigilance is required.

“We never know when an outbreak might occur in a neighbouring nation. So we ensure infection prevention control assessments at every point of care as routine as a morning greeting at our workplaces.”

The Kagera region’s ecosystem, home to fruit bats that serve as natural reservoirs for the Marburg virus, adds another layer of complexity to disease surveillance efforts.

The virus, closely related to Ebola, spreads through contact with bodily fluids and can cause severe haemorrhagic fever.

Transparency urged

Elizabeth Sanga, shadow minister of health for Tanzania’s ACT Wazalendo opposition party, says greater transparency would help guide public health measures.

“This could have helped to guide those who are traveling to the affected region to be more vigilant and prevent the risk of further spread,” she said.

WHO regional director for Africa Matshidiso Moeti says early notification of investigation outcomes is important.

“We stand ready to support the government in its efforts to investigate and ensure that measures are in place for an effective and rapid response,” she said, noting that existing national capacities built from previous health emergencies could be quickly mobilised.

The situation coincides with leadership changes in Tanzania’s Ministry of Health, with both the chief medical officer and permanent secretary being replaced.

This piece was produced by SciDev.Net’s Sub-Saharan Africa English desk.

Source: allafrica.com

Continue Reading