Tanga Cement board chairman resigns

Tanga Cement board chairman resigns

Dar es Salaam. Former lawmaker and prominent entrepreneur Mr Lawrence Masha has quit the board of Tanga Cement Company Limited (TCPLC), ending a career that spanned more than nine years at the Dar bourse-listed company.

A statement by the cement manufacturer to the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange (DSE) said the Deputy Chairman, Mr Patrick Rutabanzibwa had replaced Mr Masha in board changes that took effect immediately.

“Shareholders are advised that Tanga Cement PLC announced today that the Chairman of the Board, Mr. Lawrence Masha, resigned from his position with effect from December 15, 2022, having spent nine years on the Board of the Company, to be able to commit to a new opportunity,”  Tanga Cement said in a statement to the DSE.

His exit from the board comes in a year that saw a flop of Sh137.33 billion takeover deal from the parent company of a fellow local cement maker Twiga Cement, which wanted to acquire a controlling stake at Tanga Cement.

In October 2021, Scancem International DA (Scancem) – a subsidiary of Heidelberg Cement AG, which owns Twiga Cement – and AfriSam Mauritius Investment Holdings Limited, owner of Tanga Cement, issued a joint statement that they had finalised the terms upon which the former would acquire a 68.33 percent stake in Tanga Cement.

However a year later, in October 2022 Fair Competition Tribunal (FCT) blocked the planned merger because it was contrary to the law as it would have created a position of market dominance by the merging firms in a post-merger scenario.

Tanga Cement whose stocks are currently traded at Sh1, 100 per share announced a profit for the first time since 2016, at Sh3.54 billion net profit in the year that ended December 2021.

The firm did not have a good year in 2022 because of the market headwinds, causing profits to nosedive.

By September 2022, the manufacturer revealed that it has reduced it’s a loss to Sh1.41 billion, from a net loss of Sh2.44 billion that was recorded at the end of the second quarter in June 2022.

The former minister and Member of Parliament for the Nyamagana constituency Mr Masha is currently listed as the founding partner and managing partner – Gabriel & Co. Attorneys at Law.

He previously had served at the Home Affairs ministry for two-four years, first as a deputy minister from October 2006-February 2008 and later as a minister for two years from February 2008 to October 2010 before he was left out when President Jakaya Kikwete formed a new Cabinet on his re-election for a fresh five-year term. 

Original Media Source

Share this news

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp

This Year’s Most Read News Stories

Karume faults lease of Zanzibar Islets
Tanzania Foreign Investment News
Investment News Editor

Karume faults lease of Zanzibar Islets

Diplomat Ali Karume has faulted the decision by the revolutionary government of Zanzibar to lease the islets that surround the islands of Unguja and Pemba to private developers saying it was absolutely not in Zanzibar’s national interests.Continue Reading

Africa: Rwanda Gets a Grip Of Marburg, But Mpox ‘Not Yet Under Control’
Top News
Chief Editor

Africa: Rwanda Gets a Grip Of Marburg, But Mpox ‘Not Yet Under Control’

Africa: Rwanda Gets a Grip Of Marburg, But Mpox ‘Not Yet Under Control’

Monrovia — The Rwanda Minister of State responsible for Health, Dr. Yvan Butera, cautioned that while the country is beginning to see positive signals in its fight against the Marburg virus, the outbreak is “not yet over”. He, however, expressed hope that  “we are headed in that direction”. The minister said the epidemiology trend, since the disease was first discovered in the country more than a month ago, is moving towards fewer cases.

Dr. Butera, who was giving updates during an online briefing yesterday, said in the past two weeks, only two deaths were recorded while 14 people recovered from the disease. He said Rwanda was expanding its testing capacity with 16,000 people already inoculated against the disease.

The priority right now, Butera said, is “rapid testing and detection”.

Marburg is a highly virulent disease transmitted through human-to-human contact or contact with an infected animal. The fatality rate of cases, which has varied over the period, is more than 50%, according to the World Health Organization.  WHO said the highest number of new confirmed cases in Rwanda were reported in the first two weeks of the outbreak. There’s been a “sharp decline” in the last few weeks, with the country now tackling over 60 cases.

At Thursday’s briefing, a senior official of the Africa Centers for Disease Control, Dr. Ngashi Ngongo, said mpox – the other infectious disease outbreak that countries in the region are fighting – was been reported in 19 countries, with Mauritius being the latest country to confirm a case. He said although no new cases have been recorded in recent weeks in several countries where outbreaks occurred previously –  including Cameroon, South Africa, Guinea, and Gabon – Uganda confirmed its first Mpox death. This, he said, is one of two fatalities reported outside Central Africa.

Dr. Ngashi revealed that there was an increase in cases in Liberia and Uganda. He said mpox cases were still on an upward trend.

“The situation is not yet under control.”

Source: allafrica.com

Continue Reading