Diplomat Ali Karume has faulted the decision by the Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar (SMZ) to lease the islets that surround the islands of Unguja and Pemba to private developers saying it was not in national interests.
Speaking to journalists at his home in Maisara, among other issues that he addressed, Ali who is son of the founding father of Zanzibar Abeid Amani Karume said leasing of the 52 islets for 33 years does not make any economic sense.
“Zanzabar’s budget is at Sh2.5 trillion which is about $1.1 billion and now you lease an islet at about $3 million for a period of 33 years of which some $500,000 went into private pockets. How much is this adding to the economy? ” queried Mr Karume.
He added: At the end of the day you degrade the respect that your country and that of your fellow citizens because of $2.5 million.
According to Mr Karume, he is against the whole idea because leasing of islets will at the end of the day not make any economic impact to Zanzibar
Speaking to The Citizen in an earlier interview, ZIPA’s Shida Makame said that investments in the islets have attracted some $442 million in the past two years.
According to the Zanzibar Investment Promotions Authority’s (ZIPA) website:
Zanzibar is an archipelago made up of two main islands, Unguja and Pemba, as well as several smaller islands (islets). In total, there are estimated to be fifty-seven (57) islets in Zanzibar, 32 in Pemba, and 25 in Unguja, with nine (9) in Pemba and two (2) in Unguja being inhabited.
ZIPA goes on to say “Zanzibar welcomes investments in specially selected islets with projects that do not disturb the delicate nature of both the terrestrial and marine environments, as well as the islets’ neighboring communities. An islet that has been opened up for investment is made available to the public through a transparent and competitive bidding process, which is followed by a biodiversity inventory study conducted by the Government to provide a baseline for protection and development guidance.”
According to ZIPA “The successful bidder receives a Land Lease Agreement. In exceptional circumstances, the government may lease an islet, a portion of an islet, or a cluster of islets directly to an investor with an exceptional track record of major investments that have demonstrated environmental stewardship or for strategic investment.”
Relocation of Residents Unconstitutional
In another development, the diplomat also said that the decision to move residents of Kilimani to pave way for a new project was unconstitutional.
“Those flats were established by the Revolutionary council meeting and it can only be undone by that council and besides constitutionally you cannot nationalise private property unless it is in the interest of the public,” he said.
According to him the only time when property was nationalised was after the 1964 revolution, saying that it was a one off and that is why that right is enshrined in the constitution.
Share this news
This Year’s Most Read News Stories
Concerns mount over Zanzibar new $44 travel insurance fee
Tour operators, hoteliers, tourists, and tourism stakeholders are raising alarms over Zanzibar’s new mandatory $44 travel insurance fee, set to take effect on September 1.Continue Reading
US taps Tanzania for infrastructure plan in battle with China for minerals
Washington wants to tap into the country’s minerals, particularly its nickel mines.Continue Reading
Tanzania Confirms Second Marburg Outbreak After WHO Chief Visit
Dar es Salaam — Tanzania’s President Samia Suluhu Hassan has declared an outbreak of Marburg virus, confirming a single case in the northwestern region of Kagera after a meeting with WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
The confirmation follows days of speculation about a possible outbreak in the region, after the WHO reported a number of deaths suspected to be linked to the highly infectious disease.
While Tanzania’s Ministry of Health declared last week that all suspected cases had tested negative for Marburg, the WHO called for additional testing at international reference laboratories.
“We never know when an outbreak might occur in a neighbouring nation. So we ensure infection prevention control assessments at every point of care as routine as a morning greeting at our workplaces.”Amelia Clemence, public health researcher
Subsequent laboratory tests conducted at Kagera’s Kabaile Mobile Laboratory and confirmed in Dar es Salaam identified one positive case, while 25 other suspected cases tested negative, the president told a press conference in Dodoma, in the east of the country today (Monday).
“The epicentre has now shifted to Biharamulo district of Kagera,” she told the press conference, distinguishing this outbreak from the previous one centred in Bukoba district.
Tedros said the WHO would release US$3 million from its emergencies contingency fund to support efforts to contain the outbreak.
Health authorities stepped up surveillance and deployed emergency response teams after the WHO raised the alarm about nine suspected cases in the region, including eight deaths.
The suspected cases displayed symptoms consistent with Marburg infection, including headache, high fever, diarrhoea, and haemorrhagic complications, according to the WHO’s alert to member countries on 14 January. The organisation noted a case fatality rate of 89 per cent among the suspected cases.
“We appreciate the swift attention accorded by the WHO,” Hassan said.
She said her administration immediately investigated the WHO’s alert.
“The government took several measures, including the investigation of suspected individuals and the deployment of emergency response teams,” she added.
Cross-border transmission
The emergence of this case in a region that experienced Tanzania’s first-ever Marburg outbreak in March 2023 has raised concerns about cross-border transmission, particularly following Rwanda’s recent outbreak that infected 66 people and killed 15 before being declared over in December 2024.
The situation is particularly critical given Kagera’s position as a transport hub connecting four East African nations.
Amelia Clemence, a public health researcher working in the region, says constant vigilance is required.
“We never know when an outbreak might occur in a neighbouring nation. So we ensure infection prevention control assessments at every point of care as routine as a morning greeting at our workplaces.”
The Kagera region’s ecosystem, home to fruit bats that serve as natural reservoirs for the Marburg virus, adds another layer of complexity to disease surveillance efforts.
The virus, closely related to Ebola, spreads through contact with bodily fluids and can cause severe haemorrhagic fever.
Transparency urged
Elizabeth Sanga, shadow minister of health for Tanzania’s ACT Wazalendo opposition party, says greater transparency would help guide public health measures.
Sign up for free AllAfrica Newsletters
Get the latest in African news delivered straight to your inbox
“This could have helped to guide those who are traveling to the affected region to be more vigilant and prevent the risk of further spread,” she said.
WHO regional director for Africa Matshidiso Moeti says early notification of investigation outcomes is important.
“We stand ready to support the government in its efforts to investigate and ensure that measures are in place for an effective and rapid response,” she said, noting that existing national capacities built from previous health emergencies could be quickly mobilised.
The situation coincides with leadership changes in Tanzania’s Ministry of Health, with both the chief medical officer and permanent secretary being replaced.
This piece was produced by SciDev.Net’s Sub-Saharan Africa English desk.
Source: allafrica.com