The government has promoted a total of 262,800 public servants as of September, this year, the Minister of State in the President’s Office (Public Service Management and Good Governance) Ms Jenister Mhagama revealed on.
The minister also disclosed that President Samia Suluhu Hassan has endorsed accelerated promotion of other 67,000 civil servants who had been promoted between 2015 and 2017, only to have their promotions nullified.
“President Samia has promoted a total of 262,800 civil servants until September this year who had stayed for more than five years without being promoted,” Minister Mhagama said, noting that the government has also been spending 58.3bn/- every month to pay the increased salaries.
She made the remarks during Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa’s meeting with Ruvuma regional and district leaders and civil servants of Madaba District Council.
“In April 2021, the President addressed the Parliament and set her vision… she is aware that human resource is responsible for overseeing financial resources that’s why the government is spending a lot of money in human resource development,” Ms Mhagama stated.
Minister Mhagama informed that in the 2022/2023 financial year the government has set a budget for promotion of 120,210 civil servants.
“This is due to the fact that there were 67,000 civil servants who were promoted in 2015, 2016 and 2017 but their promotion was revoked,” she said, adding; “President Samia has directed all of them to be granted accelerated promotion.”
She further said that there was a problem of 113,964 workers not being paid their arrears but the President has directed all arrears to be settled.
“We have spent a total of 196.68bn/- to clear the arrears,” she revealed.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa on Wednesday directed public servants to fulfill their responsibilities as per President Samia Suluhu Hassan’s expectations.
The PM issued the directives when speaking to regional and district leaders, and workers of Madaba District Council shortly after inaugurating the council’s building.
“President Samia wants to see public servants serving Tanzanians… visit the people and listen to them… you cannot serve them well without listening to them to know their challenges,” he said.
He called upon leaders and public servants to be results-oriented, follow directives and be respectful, while reminding them to ensure proper spending of funds obtained from their own sources and from the central government.
The PM gave an example of Irungwa Secondary School headmaster who received 120m/- for the construction of six classrooms but spent well the money and managed to construct six classrooms, five pit latrines and installed rain water system and used the remaining funds to repair girls’ dormitories and constructs washrooms.
“You can also do the same here in Madaba, as civil servants you should strive to do something which other people have failed to do… our president wishes to have such kind of civil servants,” he stressed.
Source: allafrica.com
Share this news
This Year’s Most Read News Stories
Kampuni ya Elon Musk kuzindua mtandao Tanzania
Huduma ya mtandao ya Elon Musk ya Starlink inatarajiwa kupatikana nchini Tanzania katika robo ya kwanza ya 2023, huku wachambuzi wakisema maendeleo hayo mapya yatakuza uchumi wa kidijitali.Continue Reading
How diplomatic intervention kept Air France, KLM in Zanzibar
It has, however, emerged, that the Netherland and France sought a diplomatic solution to a standoff at the Abeid Aman Karume International Airport, warning that it could disrupt Air France and KLM flights into Zanzibar, and later Dar es Salaam.Continue Reading
Tanzania Confirms Outbreak of Marburg Virus Disease
Dodoma — Tanzania today confirmed an outbreak of Marburg virus disease in the northwestern Kagera region after one case tested positive for the virus following investigations and laboratory analysis of suspected cases of the disease.
President of the Republic of Tanzania, Her Excellency Samia Suluhu Hassan, made the announcement during a press briefing alongside World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, in the country’s administrative capital Dodoma.
“Laboratory tests conducted in Kabaile Mobile Laboratory in Kagera and later confirmed in Dar es Salaam identified one patient as being infected with the Marburg virus. Fortunately, the remaining suspected patients tested negative,” the president said. “We have demonstrated in the past our ability to contain a similar outbreak and are determined to do the same this time around.”
A total of 25 suspected cases have been reported as of 20 January 2025, all of whom have tested negative and are currently under close follow-up, the president said. The cases have been reported in Biharamulo and Muleba districts in Kagera.
“We have resolved to reassure the general public in Tanzania and the international community as a whole of our collective determination to address the global health challenges, including the Marburg virus disease,” said H.E President Hassan.
WHO is supporting Tanzanian health authorities to enhance key outbreak control measures including disease surveillance, testing, treatment, infection prevention and control, case management, as well as increasing public awareness among communities to prevent further spread of the virus.
“WHO, working with its partners, is committed to supporting the government of Tanzania to bring the outbreak under control as soon as possible, and to build a healthier, safer, fairer future for all the people of Tanzania,” said Dr Tedros. “Now is a time for collaboration, and commitment, to protecting the health of all people in Tanzania, and the region, from the risks posed by this disease.”
Marburg virus disease is highly virulent and causes haemorrhagic fever. It belongs to the same family as the virus that causes Ebola virus disease. Illness caused by Marburg virus begins abruptly. Patients present with high fever, severe headache and severe malaise. They may develop severe haemorrhagic symptoms within seven days.
“The declaration by the president and the measures being taken by the government are crucial in addressing the threat of this disease at the local and national levels as well as preventing potential cross-border spread,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa. “Our priority is to support the government to rapidly scale up measures to effectively respond to this outbreak and safeguard the health of the population,”
Tanzania previously reported an outbreak of Marburg in March 2023 – the country’s first – in Kagera region, in which a total of nine cases (eight confirmed and one probable) and six deaths were reported, with a case fatality ratio of 67%.
Sign up for free AllAfrica Newsletters
Get the latest in African news delivered straight to your inbox
In the African region, previous outbreaks and sporadic cases have been reported in Angola, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ghana, Kenya, Equatorial Guinea, Rwanda, South Africa and Uganda.
Marburg virus is transmitted to people from fruit bats and spreads among humans through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected people, surfaces and materials. Although several promising candidate medical countermeasures are currently undergoing clinical trials, there is no licensed treatment or vaccine for effective management or prevention of Marburg virus disease. However, early access to treatment and supportive care – rehydration with oral or intravenous fluids – and treatment of specific symptoms, improve survival.
Source: allafrica.com